There are some fundamentals that all lawyers need to embrace, and the starting point for all of them is a commitment to ongoing professional growth.
That doesn’t mean you occasionally read a book on your holidays. It doesn’t mean you bulk watch Suits on the weekend.
It means that every day, you need to consistently and incrementally improve your skills and knowledge from the day before – on purpose.
The cumulative effect of a commitment to professional growth will pay off in spades throughout your career. It will also have the following benefits:
- Getting you outside your comfort zone
- Decreasing your sense of arrogance that has a tendency to creep in
- Expanding your ability to provoke future thinking, rather than always staying with “this is how we’ve always done it”.
So get cracking – what are you going to do today?
Resources in this Podcast
- My podcast on risk taking and getting outside your comfort zone
- The podcast about training for young lawyers and who is responsible for it
- My new site – A Modern Professional