In the last two episodes I have looked at some fundamentals of persuasion, albeit perhaps in a way that’s different to what you might have thought.
We have looked at how useful persuasion is in legal practice in episode 39, and then in episode 40 I considered some of the underlying issues that you need to tackle about your other participant in a persuasive exercise.
Today we look at the specific, practical ways to craft a persuasive message having regard to those things we’ve talked about before.
In reality there are few steps involved:
- Consider your topic – what is it specifically you are trying to do, and more importantly – what are you NOT trying to do?
- Next once you know your topic, you need to nail it – be an expert in what you’re trying to say
- After that you need to consider who your message is going to – who is it, what are their issues, and what are the roadblocks to your message getting through
- Consider making concessions – sometimes one step back is really two steps forward
- Finally – hit hard, and hit fast.
Resources in this Podcast on Persuasion